Catalyst for sustainable cities
Scientific and technological developments in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) are contributing to the sustainable growth of cities worldwide, making them smarter and more sustainable. In fact, the Smart Cities global market is growing rapidly, with a CAGR of 14.8%, and an estimated growth of 350 billion euros, in 2020, to 700 billion euros in 2025. Technologies such as 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT) have contributed to the improvement of the efficiency of urban services, filling some of the main gaps in terms of energy, mobility, security, privacy and environmental sustainability, however, there is still a long way to go.
The mobilizing project “City Catalyst – Catalyst for sustainable cities” aims to investigate and develop new products, processes and services with high potential, contributing to an integrated urban management, efficient and innovation-catalyzing, based on specific contributions to the implementation and interoperability of urban platforms.
The project is structured in 5 main lines of R&D, pioneers within the Smart and Sustainable Cities, which will be developed in consortium, over 36 months:
1) Infrastructures for sensing, communication and computational processing;
2) Information security and privacy;
3) Data models and interfaces;
4) Open innovation and co-creation processes for the competitiveness of smart cities;
5) Development of systems that promote sustainability in cities.
It is intended to develop within the project 5 demonstrators in the cities of Porto, Aveiro, Guimarães, Famalicão and Cascais, in order to validate the functioning of at least 21 new products, processes and services, resulting from research and technological development and innovation activities of the City Catalyst project. It is intended, therefore, to provide Portuguese cities with new capacities, so that they become a reference stage for other cities in the world.
Promoter: EFACEC ENERGIA – MÁQUINAS E EQUIPAMENTOS ELÉCTRICOS S.A.
- EFACEC Engenharia e sistemas, S.A.
- EFACEC ELECTRIC MOBILITY, S.A.
- ALTICE LABS, S.A.
- Ubiwhere, Lda
- ADYTA, Lda
- JSCRAMBLER, S.A.
- NOS Comunicações, S.A.
- Associação Porto Digital
- Associação Porto Business School – U.Porto
- CEiiA – Centro de Engenharia e Desenvolvimento (Associação)
- Associação Fraunhofer Portugal Research
- Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- Associação C.C.G /ZGDV – Centro de Computação Gráfica
- Instituto de Telecomunicações
- Universidade do Porto
- INESC TEC – Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores, Tecnologia e Ciência
- Associação para o Pólo das Tecnologias de Informação, Comunicação e Electrónica – TICE.pt
- Universidade do Porto – Faculdade de Engenharia
Consult the project's Spec Sheet here:
For any additional information, please contact us using the inquiries form.